.KE SLD Rollout begins
The .KE sld will be open for domain registrations starting on 23rd July 2017.
The registration process for Second Level Domain will be rolled out in the following phases: -
1. Sunrise Period
2. Land rush Period
3. Cooling period
4. General availability
23rd July 2017 – 22nd October 2017
There will be an approximately ninety (90) day sunrise period for Trademark holders whose trademarks have been registered under the Trade Marks ACT (CAP 506) Laws of Kenya, to register Domain Names similar to their trademarks.
Applications for Domain Name Registrations received during the Sunrise period will be evaluated during the subsequent Cooling-off period and Domain Names will then be allocated to eligible Applicants based on the criteria contained in the Second Level Dot KE Domain (SLD) Policy. This Policy can be accessed from KeNIC’s website.
Registrants will be required to provide the following;
- Trademark/Patent documentation (sunrise period).
- Verified Registrant details i.e. name, email, telephone number, Postal Address.
23rd October – 22nd November 2017
Following the sunrise period, there will be approximately thirty (30) days of the Land Rush period
In the event that multiple applications for an identical Domain Name are received during the Land-rush Period, the selection criteria described below applies.
At the end of the Land-rush Period, applied-for SLD Names with a single eligible Applicant will be allocated to such Applicant.
Domain Names with more than one eligible Applicant will proceed to an auction conducted by the registry
between the competing Applicants and awarded to the highest bidder.
The Registry will offer an approximately Thirty (30) days Cooling-off period immediately after the Sunrise and Land-rush period.
The Registry will assess whether the applications meet the eligibility criteria for the respective phases.
Applications not fulfilling the criteria and were not rejected at an earlier stage will be rejected.
Eligible applications will be evaluated and prioritized according to the following principles before domain names are allocated:
- Sunrise applications prevail over Land-rush applications.
- Land-rush applications with multiple eligible applications are resolved by means of an auction. There is no obligation to participate in an auction. The Domain Name will be allocated to the remaining or prevailing applicant.
Where no eligible applications for a Domain Name have been received during the Sunrise Period and multiple eligible applications were received during the Land-rush Period, the Applicant or Applicants with a trade mark registered under Trade Marks ACT (CAP 506) Laws of Kenya shall prevail.
General availability period
Approximately One Hundred and Fifty (150) days after the launch of SLDs, Domains shall be available on a first come first
Any dispute regarding a domain name shall be referred to mediation under the ADRP.
The .KE domain pricing will be Kes 10,000 in the sunrise period
GENERAL RULES OF .KE DOMAIN NAME REGISTRATION.
The following requirements apply to the registration and management of the .KE
- All .KE Domain Names MUST have a minimum of One(1) characters.
- All .KE Domain Names should not have more than 63 characters.
- All .KE Domain Names should have a syntax pattern of [a-z 0-9].
- All .KE Domain Names should not include prohibited patterns.
- The Registrant is solely responsible for the selection of the domain name(s) and possible violations of any third parties’ rights in connection with the selection and registration of the domain name, and is liable for the costs of such violations.
- Domain Names may be registered /renewed for a minimum period determined by KeNIC Board.
- Registrar/Registrant contact information must conform to KeNIC’s WHOIS Policy.
- Registrants are allowed to transfer .KE domains to registrar of their choice.
- Registrants should contact their registrar of choice to learn about transfer procedures.
- Registration of Reserved and Restricted .KE domain names will not be allowed.
If you have any questions do get in touch with us
Wednesday, July 12, 2017